Indo-Aryan 79%. 27 peoples. Mainly south and east.
Nepali 12 million
Maithili 2.85 million
Bhojpuri 1.79 million
Tharu(6) 1.29 million
Tibeto-Burman 17%. 68 peoples, mainly in north and west…largest are
Tamang 1.17 million
Munda-Santal 0.3%. 2 peoples.
Bhutan refugees 150,000
Caste groups are important in this largely Hindu society.These are often more important sociologically than is ethnicity. Some groups:
Chhetri 3.8 million
Hill Brahman 3.1 million
Magar 1.7 million
Maki/Lohar 1.2 million
Yadav/Ahir 1 million
Musalman (Muslim) 850,000
Official language Nepali
Nepal is the world”s only Hindu Kingdom. Hinduism is recognized as the national religion. However, the constitution guarantees some religious freedom for other faiths. People are free to choose their religion, but it is illegal to convert others. Any infringing of this is liable to lead to imprisonment for nationals or expulsion of foreigners.
Religion type: % of population Approx number
Hindu 74.82 17,904,793
Buddhist 16.00 3,828,878
Muslim 5.00 1,196,525
Christian 1,89 452,286
Other religious 1.70 406,818
Sikh 0.06 14,358
Baha’i 0.03 7,179
- Pray for an honest, balanced, fair government that is ableto seriously tackle the immense economic problems of the country. Thepoverty of most of the population is a fundamental issue.
- Pray for full religious freedom to be guaranteed in theconstitution and uheld by the authorities.
- Pray for the church in Nepal…that it will be kept fromdivisions, doctrinal disputes, and error.
- Pray for the first generation of Nepali leaders, for agood foundation, and for effective transfer of leadership to the secondgeneration.
- Pray for the least reached and least evangelized.
Area: 147,181 square kilometers
Nepal is surrounded by mountains and landlocked between China (Tibet) and India. It contains 8 of the 10 highest mountain peaks in the world.
Kathmandu – capital 1,500,000
The terrain is difficult and in regions tat are habitablethere is a high population density with rapid deforestation and ecologicaldamage. The development of roads, agriculture and social projects has beenslow. Main foreign exchange earners are tourism, agriculture and Gurkhasoldiers. There is a heavy dependence on foreign aid and good relations withIndia.