Myanmar is very diverse ethnically though official figures downplay the sizes of ethnic minorities.
|Karen (16)||4.8 Million|
|China (8 languages, numerous dialects)||1.2 Million|
|Shan (3)||3.2 Million|
|Mon-Khmer||5.7% Over 13 peoples|
|Wa (Vo, Kawa)||1.1 Million|
|Moken (Sea Gypsy)||5,000|
Officially Buddhism is no longer the state religion, but the military regime actively promotes it. Theoretically, there is freedom of religion but because Christianity is strong among the restive ethnic minorities there is much discrimination against Christians. There have been many cases of forced conversions to Buddhism and violence against rural Christians.
|Religion Type:||% of Population|
|Non-Religious / Other||0.30||136,834|
- Pray for an orderly transfer to a just and democratic government that will rebuild the country with both democratic and religious freedom.
- Pray for ethnic harmony and peace.
- Pray for the removal of restrictions on fellowship with Christians from other lands.
- Pray for believers…that they may continue to evangelize and reach out to other unreached peoples and to the Burmese majority.
- Pray that the least evangelized people will be receptive to the Gospel.
Area: 676,577 square kilometers
Basin and delta of the Irrawaddy River ringed by a horseshoe of high mountains that isolates the country from India, China and Thailand.
Yangon – capital 5,000,000
Myanmar is rich in natural resources but ravaged by the greed of its rulers. Few countries have been so effectively plundered and impoverished by it’s own leaders. The large teak forests are being stripped. The most successful export is opium, producing over 50% of the world”s supply from the so-called Golden Triangle in the Lao-Thai border region.